This delicious egg dish is also an award-winner! Pat Brinegar's recipe was a National Award Winner in Land O' Lakes and Country Living Contest, Cheese Category, 1994. The recipe can be found on page 100 of West of the Rockies.
- 2 (7-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 pound hot bulk sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion salt
- 1/2 tsp.paprika
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- sour cream
- Spread half of the chiles on the bottom of a greased 9x13x2-inch glass dish. Top with half of the tortilla strips, half of the sausage, and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Beat eggs, milk, and all spices except paprika. Pour mixture over the layers of chiles, tortillas, sausage, and cheese. Lay sliced tomatoes over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
This dish can be frozen after it has been baked and then reheated.
Read a JSL member’s review of this recipe here.
Nutrition information calculated using My Fitness Pal. This data is for 1/12 of a recipe and does NOT include salsa or sour cream.
Fat: 15.1 g
Cholesterol: 169.3 mg
Sodium: 582.4 mg
Potassium: 132.9 mg
Carbohydrates: 6.9 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1.8 g
Protein: 12.2 g
Vitamin A: 12.3% D.V.
Vitamin C: 15.7% D.V.
Calcium: 11.4% D.V.
Iron: 5.2% D.V.
Percent Daily Value based on a 2,000 calorie/day diet.